Monday 1 January 2018

The year that was - 2017 in 10 pictures

For the new year, I want to remember through pictures my most beautiful moments of 2017. So join me in discovering my most exciting and unforgettable memories of the year gone by.

Venice carnival, Italy - Images by Sunil Deepak

Actually the first and most important memory of 2017 is the birth of my grand daughter in June 2017. However, I am a little superstitious that way and I don't want to put her picture here. I am sharing my memories regarding the places I visited during the year.

Moments from my Japan trip

Finally in 2017 I visited Japan for the first time. I had had opportunities for visiting Japan in the past, but I had to decline them, so I am glad that this year I could visit it. I didn't go to the well known cities like Tokyo or Kyoto, instead my visit was in the south-west part of the country.

The first image is of the atomic dome from Hiroshima, memory of the atom bomb explosion that had devastated this city during the second world war. I remember standing near this building, feeling my heart palpitate with emotions.

A-dome, Hiroshima, Japan - Images by Sunil Deepak

The second image is from the Shinto temple of Ako, remembering the legend of the 47 samurais who became ronin to avenge the honour of their lord. Keanu Reeves had made the film 47 Ronin on this legend.

47 Ronin, Ako temple, Japan - Images by Sunil Deepak

The third and last image of my Japan visit is of a traditional drum dance in Osafune. I can say that the Japan visit gave me an opportunity to admire nature, a journey in history and legends, and a glimpse of art and culture in Japan.

Traditional drummers, Osafune, Japan - Images by Sunil Deepak

Moments from my India visit

In 2017 I also visited Kerala as a tourist for the first time. I had been to Kochi in the past, but it was always for work and without any possibility of going around and visiting places.

This time, I was able to spend some days in Fort Kochi and even visit the Kochi Biennale.

Fort Kochi, Kerala, India - Images by Sunil Deepak

I was also able to visit Munnar and Thrissur and could go for a small backwaters tour. I wanted to go to Kannur but could not manage it this time.

Munnar tea gardens, Kerala, India - Images by Sunil Deepak

Passing the days of Holi in Gurgaon with my sister's family was a joy. It was also an opportunity to enjoy the rich winter calendar of events in Delhi including some talks organised by Sahapedia and a Holi Kathak dance programme by students of Shovana Narayan.

Shovana Narayan's group Kathak dance, India - Images by Sunil Deepak

Moments from my life in Italy

I live in Schio in the north-east of Italy. Venice is just one hour train journey away from my home. This year I was able to go back to the carnival in Venice. I chose a day when they didn't have any famous events in the carnival so I could avoid the big crowds, which make me feel sick. The picture from Venice carnival is at the top of this post.

I was back in Venice for visiting the Venice Biennale. It was huge and I visited only the Biennale buildings in the garden, thinking that I will go back to look at the Arsenal part of the exhibits on another day. Unfortunately I could not manage to go back and thus missed out on the Arsenal part, still I am glad that I could see works of so many different artists that I liked.

Venice biennale, Italy - Images by Sunil Deepak

The next image is of Thai dancers from the Orient Festival in Padua. It was an exiciting visit, an opportunity to see dances, art, theatre and taste food from different Asian countries.

Thai dancers, Orient festival, Padova, Italy - Images by Sunil Deepak

The last image of this post is from a motorcycle rally in Schio. It was my first time in a motorcycle rally and though I was only a spectator, I found it very exciting.

Motorcycle rally, Schio, Italy - Images by Sunil Deepak

Conclusions

I hope that you have enjoyed some of the highlights from my memories of the year gone by. I know that I have not managed to put all the significant things in the ten images presented above. Like the birth of my grand daughter and the visit of an old friend from Assam.

2017 was also a good year for my blog writings. In the past, I was dividing my blog-writing time between 4 blogs including 1 in Hindi and 2 in Italian. Now I am focusing only on this English blog, also because it has most readers.  Started 12 years ago, hopefully next year it will reach a total of 1 million readers. This year I wrote 60 posts, mostly about travels and arts. Thanks to all those who come here to read my posts.

2017 has been a good year to me and to my family. I hope that 2018 will also be a good year. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Best wishes for the new year 2018 to all of you.

***

12 comments:

rupam sarma said...

Amazing pics. Best wishes for 2018.
Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year.

magiceye said...

Beautifully captured!

Wish you a fulfilling 2018!

Sunil Deepak said...

Thanks Rupam, my best wishes to you and your family for the new year.

Sunil Deepak said...

Thanks Magic Eye for the best wishes, same to you and happy blogging in 2018.

Durga Prasad Dash said...

Interesting glimpses into your travel during the year. Wish you a great year ahead.

Ranjana's craft blog said...

Congratulation on becoming grandfather. All the grand parents are superstitious about their grand children's photos :)
Nice pics...happy new year !
www.Ranjanascraftblog.com

Sunil Deepak said...

Thanks Durga Prasad for your appreciation and best wishes! My best wishes for 2018 to you and your family.

Sunil Deepak said...

Becoming a grandfather is the most beautiful feeling in the world! Thanks for understanding my feelings and your appreciation. Best wishes to you as well for your family and your art.

Yogi Saraswat said...

Wow , so beautiful post having all the flavors from India to Italy to Japan and so n but I loved the atomic dome in Japan most . It was made later or it is ruins of that time ?

Sunil Deepak said...

Thanks Yogi. The atomic dome was a factory. When the atom bomb was dropped, all the buildings around it were destroyed only this building remained. After the war, the Japanese decided to rebuild Hiroshima, but they decided to leave this half destroyed building as it was, a kind of witness to the destruction.

Rajeev Moothedath said...

Ten arresting pics cutting across different geographies! wishing you all the best for the year 2018!

Sunil Deepak said...

Thanks Rajeev, greatly appreciated :) and best wishes to you and your family as well

Popular Posts